Forums - chillout lounge
Messages in this topic - RSS Home > Photography > XX Large Images Sought
Poster Post

mychillybin team

Posts 590
Presently looking for multi-seat licence images for a client, with the following requirements;

* Must be at least 5,000 pixels on the longest dimension (this matches A3 at 300 dpi), without any up-sizing of course.
* Stitched images not accepted
* Iconic and typical NZ outdoors scenes
* Ideally including model released person or people - natural pose - not looking at camera.

A selection of existing images will be provided for client review. If you have one or a few in your portfolio you want the team to make sure they do not miss considering then drop an email in with the image numbers.

the chillys

Mark Roberts

Posts 37
I'd like to meet this client's requirements, but . . .

If I had a 16MP Nikon D4 (NZ$7500 for body only), I could offer 4928 pixels longest side. The 18MP Canon 7D gets over the bar at 5184 pixels longest side. The latest 16MP Olympus cameras that I'm considering fall short at 4608 pixels, partly due to the 4:3 aspect ratio.

The problem for me as an amateur shooter is that returns on stock photography will never justify spending a huge amount on the biggest and best system available. I suppose the problem for this client is that hiring a professional photographer and models and transporting them to various iconic locations would blow their budget several times over.

I don't want a big camera. If I went somewhere iconic in my car, like Cape Reinga, a big FF camera wouldn't be an issue, but I'd get pretty much the same stock images as the thousand or so who went before me. I followed the dude below up that iconic river for four hours, starting in darkness. I nearly drowned myself and my camera in freezing water several times. I've decided my next camera will be a micro four thirds model—less than half the size and weight.

The point I'm getting to is that professional photographers may be way too expensive for some clients, but for me to chase images like this (and get model releases), I need a greater incentive than a royalty free price structure. I know you're considering offering images for exclusive use at higher prices. That would possibly help.

mychillybin team

Posts 590
Thanks Mark ... not many mychillybin images can meet this pixel size standard for the reasons you discuss - surprisingly about 4,000 of the 40,000 images do, although some of these are stitched.

As technology keeps marching forward, and customer expectations rise it is probably time we made another larger still image size category with a price that reflects the gear cost for this type of image. There are customers who will always purchase the largest image size available. 5,000 pixels is quite a logical break point from a market perspective because it delivers printed A3 size at 300 dpi (of A4 double page spread).

To speak of the Nikon camp, we have seen considerable improvement in image clarity / quality from photographers moving for instance from Nikon D90's to D600's and even more so to D800's. And also, in the range of lighting conditions that they can work in. But this all costs, we know, and the D90 is a good workhorse in reasonable light.

Incidentally, this particular client would be purchasing at a rights managed price which reflects their demanding technical, subject, and composition requirements.

cheers for now
the Chillys

Canon_S.I.

Posts 273
Can you be a bit more specific please,like for the Christchurch/Canterbury area what would the client be looking for and is there a time limit?cheers.

Canon_S.I.

Posts 273
Perhaps if you email me the clients email address i'll ask them myself since you can't answer.

mychillybin team

Posts 590
Little bit of patience please William - talked with the client more late yesterday and they are busy till next week. More detail in due course.

the Chillys

Canon_S.I.

Posts 273
Lol,ok,thanks.I'm a need to know now person and a shift worker,so having these details is important for the time i have off.Maybe you should have all the details before posting such client requirements instead off a few requirements to wet the whistle,just me,cheers.

Andie

Posts 16
I've submitted some that might meet your requirements - have a looksie at my files waiting for approval

Peter Andrews Photographer

Posts 2
Any more information as to what the clients requirements re subject matters are?
Thanks

mychillybin team

Posts 590
Seems to be (model released) people enjoying iconic Kiwi activities/places, with
* the people not looking at camera, and
* the image giving the impression that the viewer could just step into the scene and be part of that activity.

cheers for now
the chillys
pages: 1

Home > Photography > XX Large Images Sought

Select General image use for all applications that are not purely editorial in nature.

General includes, for example;

Email any query to fast@mychillybin.co.nz for a rapid response.

This image is available for both General use, and also for Editorial use

General use, in short, includes;

Editorial use, in short, means material of genuine public interest and containing no commercial message, advertorial content, or similar, on blogs, on information signage, in magazines, in newspapers and in newsletters

Select Editorial image use for images for editorial use in:

Editorial use, in short, means material of genuine public interest and containing no commercial message, advertorial content, or similar.

Note that whilst these images will be suitable for Editorial Use, some of these images are not able to be used for General purposes as they contain brands, people, etc without needed legal releases.

This image is available only for editorial use.

In short, this means material of genuine public interest and containing no commercial message, advertorial content, or similar. Material such as;

These Editorial Use Only images are not available for General purposes as they may contain identifiable people, intellectual property, etc, without needed legal releases.

Select the Exclusive Use Licence Full or Forward for exclusive image use, for a specified period of time.

May be used in the following applications:

(i) Editorial content - material that is of genuine public interest and free of advertising and advertorial content.

Except when the actual image is shown to be for Editorial Use Only, then it can also be used for the specified period in the sames way as the Enhanced Licence, as follows

(ii)   Items not for resale (e.g. ads, marketing materials, websites, social media posts, unpaid apps, posters, flyers, reports, ...)

(iii)   Items for resale (e.g. use of image on coasters, paid apps, screensavers, or printed map books, reports, magazine covers etc that are sold on websites or through shops ...)

Specified Period - images may not be used beyond the specified period, without a further licence of some type being obtained.

For more including prohibited uses, see full Standard Licence, Enhanced Licence, Exclusive Licence, or email your query to fast@mychillybin.co.nz for rapid response.

Select the Enhanced Licence for any of the following:

(i) Items not for resale (e.g. ads, marketing materials, websites, social media posts, unpaid apps, posters, flyers, reports, ...)

(ii) Items for resale (e.g. use of image on coasters, paid apps, screensavers, or printed map books, reports, magazine covers etc that are sold on websites or through shops ...)

The Enhanced licence is not needed for Editorial Applications.

For more, including prohibited uses, see full Standard Licence, Enhanced Licence, Exclusive Licence, or email your query to fast@mychillybin.co.nz for rapid response.

Select the Standard Licence for any of the following:

(i) Editorial content of general public interest in blogs, social media, newspapers, magazines, newsletters

(ii)  Items not for resale, up to 100,000 copies

(iii) Items for resale - not coveredThe Enhanced Licence or the Exclusive Licence are needed for items for resale.  Items such as paid apps, coasters, place mats, sold books, greeting cards, etc.

For more, including prohibited uses, see full Standard Licence, Enhanced Licence, Exclusive Licence, or email your query to fast@mychillybin.co.nz for a rapid response.